& Marilyn Rife
Obsidian Butterfly is Alice Gomez's debut recording on Silver Wave Records, with Madalyn Blanchett and Marilyn Rife. These three talented women have been recording Native music together since Flute Dreams in 1994. Together they weave the melodic sounds of ancient flutes with a multitude of exotic percussion instruments to evoke the mystery and lore of Native peoples of the Americas.
"Expansive, dreamy, lively and atmospheric ... Gomez's melodies are sensitively shaped to transform legendary settings and traditions into a tapestry keenly enchanting to modern ears."
San Antonio Express-News
In the Aztec culture, Obsidian Butterfly is one of many female deities associated with the earth and its fertility. The music on this recording was created in celebration of the various splendors of the earth including scenic landscapes and ancient ruins.
1999 - Silver Wave Records SD 919 (CD) / SC 919 (cassette)
- Celestial Dancer (3:27) [Listen!]
- Pyramid Temples (4:29)
- Voices of the Wind (4:07) [Listen!]
- The Ancient Ones (3:17)
- Ghost Dance (6:01) [Listen!]
- Passage to MesoAmerica (4:44) [Listen!]
- Sacred Landscapes (5:10)
- Path of Dreams (3:50)
- Eagle's Flight (3:31)
- Obsidian Butterfly (2:15)
- Spirits of the Earth (3:50) [Listen!]
- Soul Healer (3:26)
- Cloud Serpent (2:38)
- Searching for the Aztecs (3:41)
Surprise track: The Concheros
All music composed and arranged by Alice Gomez. All compositions published by Musiquest/Silvertron Music (ASCAP).
[Order "Obsidian Butterfly"]
- Madalyn Blanchett:
- sopranino, soprano, alto and tenor recorders, panpipes, synthesizer
- Marilyn Rife:
- percussion, marimba, synthesizer, keyboard bass, and clay flutes
- Alice Gomez:
- acoustic and electric guitars, synthesizer, keyboard bass, clay flutes, cow horn, percussion
Percussion instruments used on Obsidian Butterfly include marimba, log drums, Peruvian bombo, Indian gourd cabasa, guiro, maracas, rattles, seed rattles, frog scraper, triangle, rain stick, dance bells, wind chimes, bamboo chimes, puili sticks, Pakistani tambourine, quijada, suspended cymbals, gong, African djembe, cajon, congas, bongos, and pow wow drums.
- Alice Gomez and Marilyn Rife
- Executive Producer:
- James Marienthal
- Cover Art:
- Robert Gilormo © 1999
- Art direction and design:
- Valerie Sanford
- Sherron Huffman
- Engineered by:
- Donnie Meals and Levi White at Edit Point Studios and Joe Trevino at Blue Cat Studios
- Digitally mastered by:
- Dave Glasser at Airshow Mastering
© 1999 Silver Wave Records, Inc
All Rights Reserved.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Musiquest/Silvertron.
Page Design by: Carolyn A. Andre.