Where to Read About Mary Black
Numerous articles and interviews have been - and continue to be
written about and conducted with Mary Black. A few sources
with which I'm familiar - in print or online - are:
Text of interview with Mary Black by Denise Sofranko in the
February/March 1991 issue (32) of DIRTY LINEN magazine.
(this is a link to the Dirty Linen magazine site)
- Mark Van Setten's
Unofficial Mary Black
Homepagesite includes the text of several interviews and reviews
from European magazines, in sections on:
- Irish Music Box
frequently includes news clips on Irish musicians - which may
include Mary Black news
- Mary was a guest in a live, online, interview on America Online's CenterStage
in May of 1995, while touring the U.S. The text of the interview can
be found on America Online, by checking CenterStage transcripts.. I am currently seeking
permission from AOL to reprint the text in these pages, with proper credit.
- DIRTY LINEN magazine, February/March 1991 issue (32):
interview by Denise Sofranko (electronic version listed above)
- A WOMAN'S VOICE, by Eddie Rowley copyright © 1993
The O'Brien Press, Ltd. / 20 Victoria Road, Dublin 6, Ireland ("colloquial"
bios and interview segments with all of the women from the WOMAN'S
HEART album, plus Maire Brennan and Mary Coughlan). I ordered my
copies from a bookstore in Belfast.
- Rock 'n' Reel magazine, Issue 24 Spring 1996. page 19.
(8 Dent Place, Cleator Moor, Cumbria CA25 5EE, England) Black is the
Colour - interview by Maurice Hope, conducted by telephone during her
tour of Japan in fall 199
- Fairfield County Weekly, October 21-22, 1993.
(New Mass. Media, Westport Connecticut) Black Irish -
interview / article by Jim Motavelli, in advance of her performance at Gaelic
American Club, Fairfield
The Mary Black Song Book, as compiled by Declan Sinnott. (The
Authorised Version). Copyright © 1993, Dara Records. Notation by Gerry
McConnell. The introductory comments by Declan indicate that the guitar chords
and piano arrangement
are exactly as on the recordings. Songs are included from albums Mary
Black, Collected, Without The Fanfare,
By the Time It Gets Dark, No Frontiers, Babes
in the Wood, and
The Collection. Various black and white and colour photographs of
Mary are included as well.
- Anachie Gordon - trad., arranged: Mary Black
- Crusader - Mick Hanly
- Lovin' You - John Sebastian
- Song For Ireland - Phil Colclough
- Ellis Island - Noel Brazil
- Without the Fanfare - Mick Hanly
- Once In A Very Blue Moon - Pat Alger / E. Levine
- By the Time it Gets Dark - Sandy Denny
- Katie - Jimmy McCarthy
- Carolina Rua - Thom Moore
- Columbus - Noel Brazil
- No Frontiers - Jimmy McCarthy
- Past the Point of Rescue - Mick Hanly
- Bright Blue Rose - Jimmy McCarthy
- Babes in the Wood - Noel Brazil
- Adam at the Window - Jimmy McCarthy
- Thorn Upon the Rose - Julie Mathews
- Only A Woman's Heart - Eleanor McEvoy
any additions to this list are greatly welcomed!
| [Home] |
[Sound Samples] |
[Articles, Interviews] |
[Mary In Japan-Photos] |
[Web Links] |
[The Unofficial Mary Black Website] |
[Carolyn's House of Music] |
the contents of the recordings, videos,
and broadcast programmes listed / referenced in these pages is copyright
© the appropriate musical or publishing copyright owners.
Website pages copyright © 1995-1998
Carolyn Andre, including HTML,
original scans and digitized artwork.