Yes, I'm back with anecdotes of my addiction -- after a bit of a hiatus. Didn't stop listening during the intervening years between 1997 and now, but various factors had a hand in how receptive I was (or not) to the effects of music.
- 4th - Antje, Ellen Rosner, and others (at the Uncommon Ground Coffeehouse) - together in a benefit for the Women Made Gallery and impending release of Big Fish, Little Fish
- 15th - Whirligig (at the Chicago Cultural Center) - envigorating Celtic fusion for an incredible rainy day! Whirligig
- 19th - Mary Black (at The Vic) - heavenly voice, as always
- 27th - Melissa Ferrick (at Uncommon Ground Coffeehouse) - from the old to the new, really up, even on the 2nd of 4 shows in 2 days! for a bit of, um, distraction, check out "Drive" from her 2000 album, Freedom. Melissa's website at W.A.R.
- 4th - Zrazy (at Schuba's Tavern) - finally, after web-samples, a chance to catch this Dublin duo. They brought a mix of their somewhat electronic/new age-meets-celtic first album and their current jazz cabaret album sans the chamber group with the help of the synth. Zrazy.
- 6th - Afro-Cuban All-Stars (at the Chicago Theater) - amazing night! These folks can rock, if that's the word. Got the audience dancing in the aisles.
- 7th - Martha Schuyler Thompson, Sloan Wainwright Band (at Schuba's Tavern) - great way to recuperate from a killing work week and rotten rainy day! From the Pacific Northwest (Martha) to the East Coast (Sloan), striking humor (mostly Martha) and another amazing presentation & voice (Sloan) - "operatic" isn't quite right, but dramatic range! Finally, a full show after two years of showcase tidbits at Folk Alliance! Martha, Sloan.
- 15th - Susan Werner (at Schuba's Tavern) - at long last, both in Chicago and a full set! Susan
- 28th - Susan McKeown & Johnny Cunningham, with Aiden Brennan (at the Old Town School of Folk Music) - selections from the traditional and contemporary, plus exquisite presentation of Peter & Wendy sans the mime troupe!. Susan, Johnny
- 29th - Cathie Ryan, with Greg Anderson, Lisa Gutkin, and Brendan Dolan. Understandably voted "traditional Irish vocalist of the decade" by the Irish American Times. Cathie, Greg, Lisa, and Whirligig.
On the CD & Tape Players
Back to the Listening Page
[My Main Musical Influences] |
[Nifty Music Sources (Links)] |
[Musician Websites of Special Interest] |
[Links to Various Artist Pages] |
[What I Am/Have Been Listening To] |
[Confessions of a Music Addict] |
| [Favourite Artists Main Page] |
[Carolyn's House of Music] |
Comments, suggestions, additions, etc. welcomed:
Page content, original artwork, & any digitized scans Copyright © 1995-2008 Carolyn Andre -
except for photos of Susan Werner, copyright as credited on "Last of the Good Straight Girls"